Three Arrested in Assam Over Alleged Abduction and Gang Rape of Minor Girl

Three Arrested in Assam Over Alleged Abduction and Gang Rape of Minor Girl

Three men have been arrested in Assam’s Chirang district in connection with the alleged abduction and gang rape of a 16-year-old tribal girl, police said. The case came to light after a video of the alleged assault was circulated on social media, prompting the victim to disclose the incident to her mother.

According to police, the alleged crime took place on July 24. Investigators said the girl had initially remained silent because the accused allegedly threatened her with the video of the assault. The case was reported after the video surfaced online, following which the victim’s mother approached Runikhata Police Station and lodged a complaint on August 15.

The police investigation has so far led to the arrest of all three accused. Officials said two of them were taken into custody within about two hours of receiving the complaint, while the third accused was arrested later the same day.

Girl allegedly contacted through social media

According to the initial findings of the investigation, one of the accused allegedly contacted the minor through social media. Police said the interaction eventually led to the alleged assault involving all three accused.

The authorities have described the incident as a serious case involving a minor and have invoked provisions of the Bharatiya Nyaya Sanhita, the Protection of Children from Sexual Offences Act and the Information Technology Act.

Police said the case includes allegations of gang rape, procuration of a child and criminal conspiracy. Provisions relating to aggravated penetrative sexual assault under the POCSO Act have also been applied. Investigators have additionally invoked provisions concerning the electronic publication of sexually explicit material.

The use of social media in the case has added another dimension to the investigation, particularly because the alleged recording was reportedly used to threaten and silence the survivor.3 men dump 15-yr-old Odisha girl after gang-rape, then truck driver rapes  her | India News

Video allegedly used to threaten survivor

Police said the girl did not immediately tell her family about the alleged assault because she was frightened by threats involving the video. Investigators said the alleged recording later appeared on social media, after which the girl informed her mother about what had happened.

The victim’s statement has since been recorded as part of the investigation. Police have also said that she underwent the mandatory medical examination required in cases involving alleged sexual offences against children.

Authorities are examining digital evidence as part of the investigation. Mobile phones belonging to the three accused have reportedly been seized and are expected to form an important part of the probe into the alleged recording, its circulation and the communication between the accused and the victim.

One accused injured while allegedly trying to flee

The investigation took another turn when one of the arrested men was taken to the alleged crime scene for further inquiry.

According to Chirang Senior Superintendent of Police Dhruba Bora, the accused allegedly attacked members of the investigating team and attempted to escape despite repeated warnings. Police said a senior officer subsequently fired at his legs, causing injuries.

The injured accused was taken for medical treatment. Police officials said the incident occurred during the process of investigating the alleged crime and reconstructing the circumstances surrounding it.

Authorities are continuing to question all three accused to establish the sequence of events and determine the precise roles allegedly played by each person.

Investigation continues

Police are examining the circumstances in which the minor was allegedly contacted, how the accused allegedly gained access to her and what happened on the day of the incident. Investigators are also looking into the creation and circulation of the alleged video.

The seizure of mobile phones is expected to assist investigators in examining call records, messages, social-media communications and other digital material that may be relevant to the case.

Since the survivor is a minor, authorities are required to protect her identity and handle the investigation in accordance with child-protection laws. The case has been registered under multiple provisions that carry stringent penalties for offences against children.

The arrests represent the initial stage of the investigation, and the allegations against the accused will ultimately be tested through the judicial process. Police are expected to gather further evidence before completing the investigation and proceeding with the case according to law.

The incident has once again highlighted concerns surrounding the misuse of social-media platforms to target vulnerable individuals and the potential use of recorded sexual material as a means of intimidation and blackmail. The case also underscores the importance of prompt reporting, preservation of digital evidence and protection of survivors in investigations involving sexual offences against minors.