In a shocking case from Old Delhi, police have arrested a 42-year-old property dealer who allegedly staged a shooting attack on himself in an attempt to falsely implicate his landlord and extract money during an ongoing property dispute. Authorities said the accused carefully planned the incident with the help of two associates in an effort to delay eviction proceedings and force a financial settlement.
According to investigators, the incident took place on May 10 in the Chandni Chowk area of north Delhi. The accused, identified as Avinash Kumar, informed police that unidentified assailants had entered his rented accommodation and opened fire. He claimed that multiple shots were fired and that one bullet grazed his thigh.
Police teams rushed to the scene after receiving the complaint. Blood stains and empty cartridges were recovered during the initial forensic inspection, and Kumar was taken to Lok Nayak Jai Prakash Hospital for medical treatment. A criminal case was subsequently registered at Kotwali police station under relevant legal provisions.
However, the investigation soon took an unexpected turn.
Senior police officials said that investigators reviewed footage from more than 200 CCTV cameras installed across the locality and adjoining routes. During the detailed analysis, officers reportedly found inconsistencies in the complainant’s version of events. As the probe progressed, police discovered that Kumar and his family had been living as tenants in the property and had been asked to vacate the premises after it was sold by the owner. 
Authorities further revealed that Kumar had already filed a civil case against the property owners in court. Investigators suspect that the alleged fake shooting was designed to strengthen his position in the legal battle and pressure the landlords into offering compensation or a settlement in exchange for vacating the property.
Police alleged that Kumar conspired with two associates — Deepak Kumar and Lokesh Dahiya, both from Haryana’s Sonipat district — to execute the staged attack. Investigators believe the trio planned the incident in advance and carried out the shooting to create the appearance of an attempted murder.
During the operation, police recovered a Scorpio vehicle allegedly used in the conspiracy. Officials also seized a country-made pistol, two magazines, and 14 live cartridges from the accused. Five mobile phones believed to have been used for coordinating the plan were also confiscated as part of the investigation.
Officials said the case initially appeared to be a blind shooting with no clear suspects or motive. However, technical surveillance, CCTV analysis, and interrogation reportedly exposed the fabricated nature of the attack.
The arrests have drawn attention to the growing number of property and tenancy disputes in the capital that are escalating into criminal cases. Police officials stated that strict legal action would be taken against those involved in staging false criminal incidents and misusing law enforcement resources for personal gain.
The investigation remains ongoing, and authorities are examining whether additional individuals may have assisted the accused in planning the alleged conspiracy.

Leave a Reply